poisonous succulents

A big question and concern for most succulent beginners is if succulents are poisonous to dogs, cats, pets, or even humans. A majority of succulents are not poisonous and will not harm you, your cats, dogs, or pets. However, there are a few that can be poisonous and toxic that will most definitely harm humans or pets/animals.  

Poisonous succulents will harm you if you or your pets/animals ingest them, or if you get their sap on your skin or eyes. Definitely if you ingest some can harm you for sure and most likely put you in the hospital or your pet to the vet. If the sap gets on skin it will burn and irritate skin, but it won’t do a lot of damage. Now if sap gets in the eyes then it will hurt really bad and burn.

We want to make sure that you or your pets/animals avoid eating or getting sap of these poisonous succulents on your skin. Poisonous succulents are very dangerous for pets/animals, so make sure you are aware of where you placed your poisonous succulents.

By the end of this article, you will know 9 poisonous succulents that are toxic to cats, dogs, and other pets. This doesn’t mean you can’t grow or have these succulents in your house, you definitely can. You just need to be very careful where you place and grow these succulents. It’s just very important to keep them out of reach from dogs, cats, pets, or even children. 


Before we Begin...

Interested in buying succulents online?

Here, at Ramsey Succulents we have a huge 50% off sale going on right now. Yes, our succulents only cost $3 each! 

We offer free shipping for orders over $40.00 and each order takes about 1-3 days to get delivered.

To buy our succulents right now for $3 each you can go ahead and click on this link to buy succulents online from Ramsey Succulents.


Let's begin.

Here are 9 succulents that are poisonous to dogs, cats, pets, and some humans. Again, just because these succulents are poisonous and are toxic, it doesn’t mean that these succulents can't be grown or owned. You can still grow these succulents and still most certainly own them. You will just need to keep an eye out on them, making sure that your pets or even children do not consume these succulents.

Fire sticks Succulent (Euphorbia Tirucalli)

Poisonous/Toxic: To humans, dogs, cats, other animals/pets.

The Fire sticks Succulent (Euphorbia Tirucalli) is the first poisonous/toxic succulent on our list. This succulent is very unique and beautiful, but it’s very poisonous and toxic to humans, dogs, cats, and other animals/pets.

It’s called fire sticks for a reason, well it’s red and orange looking like a fire, but the main reason why it’s called that is because it will burn you. This succulent has toxic white sap in its leaves. When a leaf breaks off this succulent, it will then bleed this white sap that’s very toxic. If that sap gets on your skin it will start to burn your skin in about 4 minutes after contact.

A lot of succulent growers don’t know this, so when a leaf does fall off, they get it on their skin and they end up finding out the hard way. Sometimes the zap ends up on their skin and they don’t know it and they rub their eyes. Now their eyes are burning like crazy all because that sap was on their hands and then they rubbed their eyes.

It’s very important that you are really gentle with this succulent because it can definitely harm you. Make sure that this succulent does not get consumed by your pets. If it gets consumed by your pets then that toxic sap will be in their stomach! This is terrible and will harm your pets and will most likely put them in the vet!

Even though this succulent is toxic and will harm you, it’s still a great succulent to grow. Don’t be afraid of it, just make sure you handle it very gently and carefully. Also wear gloves when you hold it and avoid touching your face! Definitely grow it in a spot where your dogs and children won’t be able to touch it!

Aloe Vera

Toxic/Poisonous to: dogs, cats, horses

Aloe vera plants is the next poisonous/toxic succulent on our list. Now you are probably thinking, how are aloe vera plants toxic or poisonous? They heal cuts and wounds on our skin right? Yes, they heal cuts on our skin and it's used for medical purposes.

This plant is only toxic/poisonous to dogs, cats, pets if they ingest it. It's not toxic to humans or animals if it gets on the skin, but it will definitely upset your pets stomach if they do ingest it. Your pets will experience diarrhea, nausea, and abdominal pain.

So does this mean you can't grow this succulent? No! You can still grow this succulent, it's one of the most popular succulents out there. You just must keep it out of the reach from dogs, cats, pets, and other animals. Everyone grows this succulent, it's very popular. Just make sure to keep an eye out for your pets from eating it!

Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia Milii)

Toxic/Poisonous: to dogs, humans

The Crown of thorns succulent, also known as the "Euphorbia Milii" is a very unique succulent that's also toxic and poisonous to dogs and humans. This succulent also contains a white sap that will burn and irritate your skin. The sap will only come out if a leaf or branch falls off. Once it touches your skin you will start to feel a burning feeling and your skin will get irritated.

If your dogs do consume this they will experience diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting. Your dog will most likely have to go to the vet and get treated for immediately. It's important to keep this plant out of the reach from children and dogs.

This succulent is amazing to grow, despite being poisonous and toxic. You can still grow this succulent and a lot of people do. It's known as the crown that Jesus wore during crucifixion, this is why this succulent is very popular despite being poisonous and toxic.

Panda Plant Succulent (Kalanchoe Tomentosa)

Toxic/Poisonous: dogs, cats, pets/animals

The panda plant succulent is a very common and popular succulent. More and more succulent growers grow this succulent indoors than outdoors because it's a very common succulent houseplant. Unfortunately, this succulent is poisonous to dogs, cats, and other pets and animals. It's not poisonous to humans tho!

Definitely grow this succulent, but just remember to keep an eye on it. Grow it indoors in an area that your dogs, and cats won't reach and consume it. If your dogs or cats do consume it then they will feel symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy. Just be careful and keep an eye out on your pets, and choose a good spot where they can't reach it.

Jade Plant

Toxic/Poisonous: to dogs, cats.

The jade plant succulent, also known as the "crassula ovata" is a very unique and beautiful succulent. Unfortunately this succulent is poisonous to dogs and cats but it's not poisonous to humans!

This succulent has very beautiful bright and green leaves with red tips. This succulent is toxic and poisonous to dogs and cats but it's also known as a lucky plant. It has a name known as the "money plant" and it's super cool because a lot of succulent growers grow it indoors in their office.

You can still easily grow this succulent, you will just need to grow it somewhere where your dogs or cats won't be able to consume it. It's very rare when dogs or cats consume a jade plant, they'd have to be a puppy or very hungry! If for some reason your dogs or cats do consume your jade plant, they'll experience some symptoms. Those symptoms would be vomiting, diarrhea, and even depression. It's very important that you just keep this plant out of the reach of dogs and cats, so they don't consume them.

Despite it being poisonous to dogs and cats, you should still grow this succulent. It's a very common and popular succulent that's been around for ages. A lot of succulent growers grow it!

Mother of Thousands

Poisonous/toxic: to dogs, cats, other animals

The mother of thousands succulent, also known as the "Kalanchoe Daigremontiana" is the next poisonous/toxic succulent on our list. This is a very odd-shaped succulent, but it's also extremely popular, common, and beautiful. It has very bright green leaves that have vert unique sizes and shape. This succulent is native to Madagascar and it's known to be found and grown on the hillsides of Madagascar. 

Despite the unique shape and beauty, this succulent is unfortunately toxic and poisonous to dogs, cats, and other animals. This succulent is also very invasive, which means it likes to take control of the whole garden and stretch onto other plants! If your dogs, cats or other animals do consume this succulent, they will have symptoms such as vomiting, and diarrhea. They might also have seizures, and other problems.

It's very important that you just keep this succulent out of the reach from dogs, cats, and other animals. You can still definitely grow it, just make sure that your dogs, cats, and pets do not consume this attractive and unique succulent. If they do consume it, make sure you take them to a vet to get treated right away. Your pets will be in some serious pain if they consume this succulent.

Leave a comment